One of the major changes to our face as we get older is the loss of volume. Dermal fillers can treat loss of collagen and elastin and fatty tissue which normally makes up the bulk of the volume of the face. This allows us to provide facial contouring to give you a non surgical face lift or a more youthful look.
In the face of a young man or woman we see full fat pads in the cheeks, in the areas around the temples and the forehead. This fullness creates a youthful contour and also gives rise to a radiant complexion.
As we get older these areas not only deflate but they also move down the face creating the dreaded “facial droop” that gives rise to deep lines of the mid and lower face, and the jowls of the jawline.
Here is a comparison of the effects of volume loss on the ageing Face:
- Full Fat pads and an abundance of support (i.e.collagen)
- Gradual sweeping curves creating an oval shape to the overal faceA sharp defined jawline that ads to the beauty of the face
- Sweeping check bones that are wider than the lower face creating an inverted triangle proportion which is common to all super models and beautiful faces
- Firm, hydrated skin that gives a dewy a appearance and contributes to the tone, texture and complexion
- Deflated fat pads that sage and droop and a loss collagen and elastin support structures.
- Jowls and sagging skin that detract from our appearance and make us old before our timeSunken areas are sagging skin creating a pear like shape to the face
- Cheekbones that are sunken and narrower in comparison to the lower facial jowls. This creates a pyramid like geometry which is unattractive to the human eye.
- Dry, brittle skin that appears lifeless and dull contributing to an overall loss of skin quality and a decrease in our radiance.
Facial Contouring Method:
- We firm and tighten skin using non surgical skin rejuvenation/tightening procedures.
- We replace lost volume with the use of natural hyaluronic dermal fillers such as Juvaderm and Restylene.
Tightening the skin is normally done as a sequence of events that begins with daily skin serums and leads up to a fraxel laser treatment or deep renewal procedure. By firming our skin in preparation for replacing lost volume we also maximise all aspects of our skin quality as an almost inadvertent gesture.
In order to complete this three dimensional volumetric face lift we use dermal fillers. Dermal fillers allow us to revolumise the face and get what we call the three dimensional volumetric facelift which lifts the skin and gives us a more youthful look. An analogy of this is a beach ball that is a little deflated or like a balloon that’s gradually lost air overnight. If we blow these back up again you get a lifting affect that doesn’t require surgery ( and unfortunately surgery can sometimes lead to that terrible two dimensional “stretched” look.)
When replacing volume it is important to realize that different areas of the face require different answers. For instance if we are going to plump up the apples of the cheeks or the sweeps of the cheekbone we use a firmer filler that we can put down deep in the tissues to create a nice soft contour. However if we are treating the tiny lines around the lip (smokers lines) or the dry thin skin around the eyes (crows feet) we need a very thin material that we can place superficially that doesn’t leave any marks or lumps. So regardless of what area we treat, the forehead, the hollows in the temples, the troughs under the eyes, the cheeks, the lips or 3 dimensional lifting we have a specific product that can fit any situation.
So by replacing volume we make improvements in tone, texture and facial contours. This gives a lifting effect that allows us not only to look good at the moment but most importantly it create a collagen response within the skin which means that if we give 10 points of improvement initially after treatment, 12-18 months later even if all that product has worn off we still have 3 points of improvement left over. This is such a wonderful effect of dermal fillers because it means that over time with repeat treatments less product will need to be used and treatments will need to be done less often.